A driving license is an official document that allows Irish citizens to drive certain vehicles and is also used as a form of self-identification. Irish driving licenses are currently issued by the National Driver License Service (NDLS), who have a series of requirements before one can become eligible for a Class 1 license, along with other driving Categories, which will be discussed in this article. For more information regarding how to attain a license, please check our article Getting a Driver’s License in Dublin.
How do I get a Class 1 License?
A Class 1 License allows its owner to drive a combination of various road vehicles, and there are certain requirements before you can attain one. Many of the vehicles included under a Class 1 license apply to various categories of motor vehicles in Ireland, including Category B, Category A1 and Category W. To get a Class 1 license, you must adhere to the following requirements:
Have a clean driving record
- You must have no more than 4 points on your driving record to be considered for a Class 1 license.
- Your license must also not have been suspended within the last 2 years due to driving or criminal offences.
Pass certain health requirements
- You must undergo and pass a vision test which will be provided to you at the service center and submit a medical form that can be found online. This medical for must be reviewed and completed by a professional physician to ensure that you are well enough to drive safely on the road.
Have a Class 5 driver’s license for at least 3 years
- A Class 5 license allows its holder to drive most vehicles, including cars, trucks and vans.
Pass a knowledge test along with road tests
- The National Driving School can help you prepare for these tests! Please feel free to contact us at 085-118-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out our quick form online! We have a wide variety of packages and services to offer which will help best prepare you for your tests. For more information regarding these services, please visit our pricing page, which can be found on the home page of our website!
What is a Class 5 License?
A Class 5 license is a license which allows individuals to drive most cars, vans and trucks. These vehicles include:
- A 2-axel motor vehicle
- A motorhome that does not have airbrakes
- You must attain an air brake certificate in order to drive a motorhome with an airbrake.
- Tow a trailer
- It is important to note that any trailer towed with a Class 5 License cannot have airbrakes.
- A moped, recreational vehicle, or trailer
- These vehicles cannot have airbrakes.
How do I become Eligible for a Class 1 License?
To be eligible for a Class 5 license, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 16 years of age
- You must have parental/guardian consent to drive.
- This is in accordance with Category W work vehicles, including land tractors or JCB equipment.
- Be 17 years of age
- This is in accordance with Category B vehicle requirements.
- This is also in accordance with Category BE vehicle trailer requirements.
- Be 18 years of age
- This is in accordance with Category C1E and CE vehicle trailer requirements.
What does a Class 1 License Allow Me to Drive?
With a Class 1 License, you can drive a combination of various vehicles including:
- A road tractor
- With 2 axels and a weight of at least 4,500 kg.
- A road tractor
- With 3 axels or more.
- A truck manufactured to transport consumer items or equipment
- Any other type of road vehicle except for motorcycles
- These vehicles must all have 2 axels or less and not have airbrakes equipped.
We hope that this article provided you with all the information you need regarding Class 1 driver’s licenses and how to attain them. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to reach out to us at 085-118-1111 or email@example.com.